Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cooling Trends = Winter

Back in July and August, when we were setting record high temperatures, the idea of a frosty winter day sounded delightful.  Yeah.  That's when it was 111+ degrees and the AC couldn't keep up, culminating in a call to the repairman...for me and countless others.

Be careful what you wish for...

It's winter.  No ifs, ands or buts, the cold and frosty season is upon us.  Although it isn't quite noon, the temp is now 18.  That's Fahrenheit.  The first thing I did after sitting at my desk was to look out the window.  There's a dusting of snow on the ground---the first to stay stuck and visible for more than a very short time this winter season.  There's also a thin layer of snow (and ice?) on the windshield of my car, which means that at some point today I'll be scraping.  The bright sunshine may be making it sparkle, but it isn't helping in the melting department.

So I'm looking around, wondering what I should do.  There isn't a room in the house that couldn't stand some straightening, if not some downright cleaning.  But there are other things calling to me.  A just-started book proposal that I hope to have finished by the end of the week is clamoring for attention.  A YA story I began a few weeks ago and was given a thumbs-up by my youngest also awaits.

Instead, I have a cup of green tea I'm enjoying while writing this blog post.  When I've finished, I'll probably do whatever strikes me, as long as it keeps me relatively warm and happy.  There are countless things I should do and even more things I might want to do with this day that's spread out ahead.  Whatever I choose, I'll find a way to enjoy it, just as I will Winter, as it continues to settle in until Spring arrives in the far distant future.

“The hardest work of all is to do nothing.”




No comments: