Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Holiday Push

I was feeling a bit like the dogs on the left, slugging along and not much concerned with anything special.  And then I looked at my calendar and realized there are only 12 days until Christmas.  Less than two weeks.  Just around the corner.  Will be here before you know it.

Is your heart beating faster, making your blood rush a little?  I'm picking my jaw up from the floor where it dropped.  You've I've got to be kidding!

I spent a wonderful evening with my critique group last night at the home of Love Inspired author Patricia Davids.  She should be sick of me, by now.  I was there, along with many friends from our writers group, on Sunday for our annual Christmas party.  Her house is beautifully decorated for the holidays!  I'm green with envy.  Or would be if I was into the holidays.  Not that I'm the Grinch or completely into the Bah!  Humbug! thing.  I've spent a lot of years decorating and cooking and shopping and wrapping and...

It's taken a few years, but I've finally abdicated my role of holiday hostess in the family.  As it is now, I might fix the turkey and another dish or two, and I'll help set the table and clean up after the meal, but I don't have to worry if there's going to be room for all 14 (gasp!) of us or if dinner is going to be late/cold/wilted.  I don't have to clean.  I don't have to decorate.  It's not that I don't miss all those things, especially the holiday decorations, because I do.  It's just that there are other things that have become more important, such as not worrying or having to rush. When I used to wish for a small slice of peace, now I get to enjoy the big chunks. I like that.

On Friday night, my youngest daughter and I will attend the local ice skating show.  This is the third year that Scarlett, my oldest granddaughter, has been a part of it.  It's fun.  It's a bit cold.  And it's always a pleasure to enjoy the local talent, from the tiniest little skater who has mastered staying upright, to the competition skaters who are definitely professionals.

Twelve more days.  Yes, the holiday push is definitely on.  And while many will be hustling and bustling around, making sure everything is perfect, I'll be enjoying the fruits and sparkles of their labor.  Maybe next year I'll do a little more.  Or maybe I'll enjoy this year so much that I won't. ;)

Anyone who believes that men are the equal of women has never seen a man trying to wrap a Christmas present.  - Anonymous 

No comments: