Thursday, December 22, 2011

'Tis the Season for Much

What a busy time of year, and the craziness isn't over.  Christmas is only 3 days away, it's Winter Solstice--the shortest day of the year--and it's also the 10th birthday of my oldest granddaughter.

That's Scarlett on the left when she was a few hours old.  The doctor was certain she wouldn't arrive until after the first of the year, but what babies waiting to enter the world listen to doctors?  Her mom made a late entrance.  I'd begun thinking I'd be pregnant for forever, but Sabrina, Scarlett's mom, finally decided it might not be so bad out in the world, after all.  Obviously Scarlett didn't take after her mom.

This evening will be the first of the family get-togethers over the next week and a half, as we gather to celebrate Scarlett's birthday.  I hear there's pizza on the menu, and of course the obligatory cake.  And, yes, it's hard to believe that there'll be ten candles on that cake.  Time goes by quickly.

I can't imagine not seeing my g-kids and sharing not only in the milestones of birthdays and holidays, but the little things.  That makes me one of the lucky ones.  I've been able to watch them grow from the beginning.   Each one of them is special in his or her own way, and talent of all kinds abounds.  Who knows what the future will bring for each of them?  Good things, I'm wishing.

Enjoy these days ushering in the final holidays of the year!  If you're lucky like me, give the kids and grandkids extra hugs, and treasure the time you have with them.  It may be the season to be busy, but it's also the season to make special memories.  Enjoy making yours!


What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.- Anonymous 

No comments: