Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Where Do I Sit? or Is This Some Kind of Sign?

 Last night, while I was on the phone talking to fellow author and friend Kristi Gold,  I leaned back in my office chair.  To my surprise, it and I kept going, until chair and I were in a reclining position.  It isn't a recliner.  Normally.  It might have tipped on back completely, if it hadn't been for a large plastic bin that awaits a trip to the attic...or storage shed, whichever comes first.

Maybe it was my fault.  Earlier yesterday evening, I'd sprayed WD-40 on the squeak that was driving me crazy at the base of the chair.  While it wasn't my throne--and far from looking like the elaborate chair on the left--a few months ago I'd given some thought to replacing it.  Still, the chair and I had become comfortable with each other and it wasn't in such bad shape that I desperately needed a new chair.  That has changed.

But a new chair isn't a part of my budget.  My bad for not getting one when it might have been, but who knew?  I'd passed on the old office chair to my youngest, and it wouldn't have been right to repossess it.  As if she would've let me.  There's also an oak captain's chair that I purchased at an auction, long, long ago.  I tried it this morning, first thing, but my desk sits high, and I had to reach up for the keyboard.  Not good when there's some CTS involved.

And then I remembered that I'd recently given some thought to using an upholstered bar chair with arms that I used years ago with a drafting table.  So after taking the broken chair out to the shed to await trash pickup day, I brought in the tall chair from the kitchen where it wasn't really being used, except to hold the dishtowel and an extra roll of paper towels.  It's a tad bit narrow and will probably require using my keyboard on top of the desk, instead of on the pullout keyboard drawer, but adjustments are sometimes necessary.  It's comfy, too, which is a requirement when sitting at a desk all day.  And while it doesn't lean or tilt, that may be a good thing.

Even if I don't have a throne and haven't figured out yet if any of this is some kind of sign--such as the need to lose weight--the question of where to sit has been answered.  At least for now.  Maybe a change in chair will bring a change in luck.  I do like that idea!

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine. ~ Robert C. Gallagher



No comments: